Background of the Museum
The Royal Thai Dockyard, a dockyard under the Royal Thai Navy established on purpose of rebuilding the royal barge, has a long history since the period of steamboats. King Chulalongkorn (Rama V) then ordered that the great dockyard should be built near the foundry on the south of Wat Rakang Kositaram in order to support the increasing number of ship repairing. The King officially opened the Royal Thai Dockyard on January 9th, 1890 (B.E. 2433). The Royal Thai Naval Dockyard has since then counted this auspicious day as the Royal Thai Naval Dockyard Foundation Day. In addition, the Department has responded to his royal grace of modern dockyard work foundation by the continual missions to repair and to build ships with increasing capability of using sea power to help the Royal Thai Navy prepared for any operations. This results in many shipbuilding and mechanic contributions which is considered as intellectual heritage containing historical value, and should be preserved and made widespread henceforth.
In 2008 (B.E.2551), the Royal Thai Naval Dockyard has started the project of the Royal Thai Dockyard Museum Commemorating King Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX)'s 84th Birthday Anniversary, in Commemorating of the Celebrations on the Auspicious Occasion of King Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX)'s 7th Cycle Birthday Anniversary, 5th December 2011. This project aims to conserves and improves the Mechanical Workshop Section (under the Workshop Division, Thonburi Naval Dockyard) and turns it into a museum. This building is aged over 100 years, with the architecture of gingerbread house style. It is presumably built in the reign of King Chulalongkorn (Rama V), when the King gave the Royal Thai Navy the land to build the Royal Thai Naval Dockyard plant and the Royal Thai Navy office. The museum has been developed by the Royal Thai Naval Dockyard, following the intention of Admiral Honorary Prof. Weerawat Wongdontri, at the time he took position of the Naval Engineering Command.
The name of the Royal Thai Dockyard Museum Commemorating King Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX)'s 84th Birthday Anniversary comes from the title "Royal Dockyard Opening" in Royal Thai Government Gazette, 1890-01-18 (109 Rattanakosin Era), Vol. 7, pp. 42, describing Royal Thai Navy's business and King Chulalongkorn's proceeding to preside over the opening ceremony of the Royal Dockyard on January 9th, 1890 (109 Rattanakosin Era).
The Royal Thai Dockyard Museum Commemorating King Bhumibol Adulyadej (Rama IX)'s 84th Birthday Anniversary has its official opening ceremony on Thursday 25th August, 2011.